Wondering what to do with your Spring harvest? Here is a simple crockpot method for cooking the most delicious and mouth watering wild turkey you've ever put in your mouth!
Preparation Time: 8 hours and 30 minutes
- 1 Wild Turkey Breast (watch out for shotshell pellets!)
- 2 (1 ounce) packages of Dry Onion soup mix
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Seasoned Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Basil
- Put your harvested wild turkey breast in the crockpot.
- Whisk onion soup mix and chicken stock in a bowl and pour over turkey breast
- Stir garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, seasoned salt, basil, and oregano in a bowl and sprinkle generously over turkey breast.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours or until turkey is very tender (internal temperature should be about 165 degrees Fahrenheit)
Afraid of frying turkeys in grease? Frying your turkey is a sure-fire way to keep your holiday bird super juicy on the inside (even white meat) while extra crispy on the outside. However, grease fryers can often be dangerous even for seasoned turkey frying veterans. A safer alternative is to use a grease-less or oil-less fryer. This method of cooking yields the same result as frying in oil, without the danger of catching something on fire or burning your self. Plus, it's better for your health as most recipes call for peanut oil which contains harmful trans fats. This is our favorite way to cook a turkey and the unsuspecting grazer will never know that you didn't use oil to fry your holiday turkey! Check out our recipe below and let us know what you think:
Preparation Time: 2.5 hours
- 1 lb margarine (melted)
- 1/2 Large bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 6 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Red or White wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Large Can of Tony's Seasoning, plus enough to cover inside and outside of turkey
- 1 - 10-12lb turkey (Butterball is our favorite)
- Make sure your turkey is completely thawed
- Blend all ingredients. Using an injector, inject meat to the bone (if possible).
- 8 into each breast (4 on each side)
- 1/2 into bottom and 1/2 into top of wings
- 1 in each drumstick
- 1 1/2 in each thigh
- Cover with Tony's seasoning inside and out. Let sit for at least 1 hour (24 hours for maximum flavor).
- Cook in grease-less fryer until internal temp reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. (about 2.5 hours for 12lb turkey)
- Remove from grease-less fryer and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Carve turkey and enjoy!